Saturday, August 5, 2017

Prayer bearing spiritual fruit

My parents were missionaries before I was

born. My father served as a pastor and a denominational executive while I was growing up. I am sure that my parents prayed for me, including for my spiritual life. Ironically, those prayers did not bear their fullest fruit until I was in my mid-20s — my mother had died, my father was again serving overseas and I was living alone.
My passion growing up was not for my faith, but for politics. After receiving my degree in political science and economics, I got a job with my congressman. When that job ended because he did not seek re-election, I decided to take the plunge and run for office myself. At 24, I ran for the school committee in my hometown in Massachusetts.
My dreams were dashed, however, by a decisive defeat. That loss started me on a period of soul-searching — first in terms of my career goals, but eventually in a more literal, spiritual sense. Over a period of several months, a number of key events led me to a turning point in my life.
One of those events took place at my church, where I remained a regular visitor. One Sunday, two men did a dramatic reading about the Lord’s Prayer — the one taught by Jesus to his disciples. One repeated the memorized words — while the other, off-stage with a microphone, played the voice of God, actually answering. The man would say, “Our father, who art in heaven ” — and the voice answered, “Yes, what can I do for you?” Startled, the man continues,