Monday, September 18, 2017

GM plots next phase of IT overhaul

GM also has created a private

internal cloud — nicknamed Galileo — to improve its business and IT operations, including four innovation centers and two data warehouses. They are handling triple the number of projects that the automaker used to commission simultaneously and completing them in half the time.
"IT is core, I think, to GM's revival, and I think it will be core to their success in the future," Akerson, who retired in January 2014, said in an interview last week. "We did map out a five-year plan, and I'm pleased to hear that much of it has taken form. We knew what we wanted to get to, and it's been achieved in large measure."
The IT operations arguably can influence every part of GM's business. While not the driving force behind monumental decisions such as exiting unprofitable vehicle segments and markets, including the sale of GM's European operations, IT is helping Barra and other senior leaders to make quicker, more well-informed decisions than executives ever could before.